Tomato Sauce with Chunky Vegetables
A good way to make use of fresh Spring vegetables
and herbs. Make a trip to your local farmer's
market this weekend.
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ onion, chopped
1 small yellow squash, chopped
1 small zucchini squash, chopped
6 button mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp. dried basil
About 10 leaves of fresh basil, torn
1 tbsp. dried oregano or 2 tbsp. fresh
1 tsp. dried parsley or 2 tbsp. fresh
Dash of crushed red pepper
Dash of salt & pepper
4 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup water
1) In large saucepan on medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp.
olive oil and chopped onion. Saute a few minutes. Add squash and zucchini
and sauté until vegetables are tender.
2) Add garlic and spices and then mushtrooms and sauté a few more
3) Add crushed tomatoes and water and 2 more tbsp. of olive oil.
4) Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Add fresh basil a minute or
two before serving.
5) Serve with your favorite pasta and Parmesan/Romano cheese, if desired.
Makes enough sauce for four
Delicious paired with Mountain
Cove Vineyards Tinto wine.
Return to Top