2 cups of long-grain brown rice
1) In a medium sized kettle on high heat, stir together vegetable broth and 2/3 of can of tomato paste until there are no clumps of tomato paste remaining. Add brown rice, and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30-45 minutes (check after 30 minutes). Liquid will be mostly absorbed and rice tender.
2) Heat 2-3 tbsp. of olive oil in a large kettle on medium high heat. Add onion and sauté a couple of minutes. Add bell pepper and celery and sauté all three together about 5 minutes.
3) Add sliced vegetarian chorizo sausages and stir together.
4) Add garlic, remaining tomato paste and all spices. Stir together.
5) If using fresh okra, slice it and add it to the pot. If using frozen, cook it for half the time called for on the package directions. Drain and add to the pot.
6) Add zucchini, squash and artichoke hearts. Add remaining ½ cup of vegetable broth and stir. Add more olive oil, as needed.
7) Stir cooked rice into vegetable mixture. Simmer jambalaya on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8) Serve with a side salad, hearty bread and cold beer or glass of Vinho Verde or Sauvignon Blanc. Provide extra tobasco sauce or other hot sauce on the side.
Makes a very large pot of jambalaya. Enough to feed 8-10 people.